Mental health problems are mainly treated in primary care with general practitioners providing the initial clinical contact. However there are considerable challenges to detecting diagnosing and treating patients. Up to a third of patients consulting general practice have significant psychological symptoms but may present with physical symptoms or for a physical health condition e.g. diabetes or cardiovascular disease.
This primary care focused ODE aims to support and increase GPs confidence in detecting diagnosing and treating mental illness in all age groups promptly and safely using holistic evidence based approach in partnership with patients and will provide a stimulating day of listening reflection practical skills and learning.
By the end of the day attendees will:
- Be better able to diagnose and treat common mental health problems and be able to appropriately manage more challenging or complex cases.
- Be able to use practical brief psychological techniques in the 10 minute consultation to help patients.
- Be able to manage older adult mental health holistically including CMHPs mental health problems and long term conditions and dementia.
- Be more confident in managing psychiatric emergencies including crisis care psychosis and suicidal behavior.
- Be more confident in managing a range of common children's mental health and behavioral problems including self-harm, depression, anxiety and stress.
Full details and registration >